Wednesday, October 22, 2014

What have you done: One

When you look back on your life … what have you done?

Maybe it is because I am getting older (in my mid 50’s as I write this) or maybe it is because my kids are getting older (my youngest turns 30 soon, that makes me feel old) or maybe it is because of my grandkids entering my life; but I am looking at my legacy while I still have a chance to influence it.

Your legacy basically is answering the question: What have you done with your life? What have you done with the seconds, minutes, hours, days, years, and decades that the LORD has given you? What have you done that you can look back on and be GLAD you did it (or didn’t do it). What have you done where God will say to YOU “Well done, good and faithful servant … here is your reward!” (Matthew 25:23)

I strongly believe you need to do this while you still have a chance to influence it. Even though you may be in your 20s and believe the world will open up for you with a red carpet welcoming you to your grand opening, you still should look at your legacy. Maybe a better way to look at it right now is: “What do you want to be KNOWN for?” When someone thinks of you, what comes to their mind?

So if you would permit me over the next few columns to wax reflective about my life, I pray that you will find some help in picking up that mirror and looking at your own life at the same time.

Buckle up, here we go …

What first and foremost come to mind are my relationships. I believe that EVERYTHING else is secondary to your relationships. After all you are commanded as a Christian and advised by every psychotherapist to spend time on your relationships for YOUR health and legacy as well as their future.

My first relationship is with my God. You may think that is easy for me because I am a pastor of a church, I have planted two churches which never existed before I came to town, I have taught and helped countless individuals in my ministry so I MUST have a great relationship with my God right? Well, no so fast. Two things come to mind when I think of my relationship with God.

First, I KNOW I have a gift from God and my church to be able to make my study of God my profession. That is a gift I can never repay. But just because it is my profession doesn’t mean that I am in the right place with God. After all, look at the Pharisees and teachers during Jesus time. Just because I wear the label Christian and Pastor, doesn’t mean that I actually am. So how REALLY is my relationship with God? When I pull back all the religious “stuff” how am I doing? That is as difficult for me to answer as it is for you.

Second, if I can answer with a positive or that I have a good relationship with God I must ask, “Compared to what?” I cannot compare my relationship with God with YOUR relationship with God. I MUST compare my relationship with God that I have now with the relationship I SHOULD have with him. I will always fall short on that account and so I must continue to strive to do better, no matter what my legacy of this relationship is now, it is never enough that I can sit back and say, “Finally, I made it. I have the BEST relationship with God possible!”

As I look at my legacy I want to be known as a “Man of God.” I want to have people say about me at my funeral, “No matter what else Steve was, we know he loved God.” That is the most important part of my legacy …


… which leads me to my next relationship …

No comments:

Post a Comment