Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Mystery

We have lost the sense of mystery, true mystery.

We know where babies come from … the mystery is gone.

We know where snow, rain, and sunshine come from … the mystery is gone.

We know how and why the earth shakes, floods happen, and drought drains … the mystery is gone.

Our first response to something we don’t understand is to examine it, to test it, to figure it out. I am not saying this loss of mystery is bad, I am just saying we have lost it. There are many good outcomes to figuring things out scientifically; we can heal people like never before, we can prevent catastrophic death from plagues and weather, we can experiment even further down the rabbit hole to find out about things that we never dreamed of before.
Yet we are missing something. Let me just take a look at the weekly offering of shows on TV right now:

·         Ghost Hunters (SyFy)
·         Haunted Collector (SyFy)
·         My Ghost Story (Bio)
·         Ghost Adventures (Travel)
·         Paranormal State (A&E)
·         A Haunting (Discovery)
·         Most Haunted USA (Travel)
·         Ghost Hunters Academy (SyFy)
·         Fear (MTV)
·         Ancient Aliens (History)
·         Supernatural (CW)
·         Walking Dead (AMC)
·         American Horror Story (FX)
·         Bates Motel (A&E)

You could probably name even more. I see a direct correlation between the LOSS of mystery in our daily lives and the ATTEMPT at mystery in our entertainment.

Why do we seek the unexplained and mysterious in our entertainment yet mock the unexplained and mysterious in our daily lives.

My last trip to the Grand Canyon involved a brief conversation. I breathed, “Isn’t it amazing what an artist our God is?” A man, not part of my group, said, “It has nothing to do with a god of any sort. It is simply water and time. That’s all you need to carve a Grand Canyon.” He sounded honest and earnest in his scientific explanation and many around us agreed by their silence so I, of course, had to speak up. “Yes, I agree, but tell me this: where did the water and time come from?”

There are things in this world that I still consider a mystery. Over the next few columns I will share them with you. Somewhere, deep into that mystery, I found God. But this is the God who reveals himself, not in scripture, but in the world we live in. Shall we descend into the rabbit hole together?


No comments:

Post a Comment