Thursday, June 26, 2014

Time and Dollars

Have you ever been asked the question: “What did you buy that for?” It is a question usually given with an unbelieving attitude or expression. I have made a lot of stupid purchases in my life, from bad cars to unfitting and ugly clothes. I have also made a lot of good purchases in my life that most would consider foolish at the time: I have a couple of coins and collections that cost me a few dollars but are now worth a few thousand. We spend, we buy, we sometimes don’t understand why.

As I take my grandson into a store there are probably 15 times where he will ask, “Can I have this?” or “Will you get this for me?” Sometimes I give in, sometime I know I would get crucified by his mom if I get it so the decision is easy but … always the question: “Can I have this?”

Can you? Can you have whatever you want? If you listen to some permanently smiling preachers you are almost convinced that if you do this in just the right way, or if you act just like this then everything you want will be yours. But can you? Can you have whatever you want?

The truth is, there is finite amount of money around and there is also a finite amount of time you are given. Often those who have the money don’t have the time and those who have the time don’t have the money, but this is not always true. Some have invested in such a way and then pulled back at just the right time to be able to enjoy the fruit of their labor and have both money and time. But most of the time you won’t get both.

The question then becomes what do you invest your time and money in? Maybe school? Maybe spending more time at work so you can grow that way? Take a look at your life and tell me what you invest your time in. In a practical way, just track it for a week. How much time do you spend sleeping, TV, Computer or cell phone, work, eating, or hanging with friends. I think you will be surprised what you actually spend the most of your time doing. When you take this little test you will find out why you do or don’t have money to spend or why your retirement is not lining up like it should.

What are you buying with the hours of your life? I am not saying money is the ultimate goal of your time purchases. I am saying you need to be aware of those seconds, minutes, hours, days and even years that slip away from you while you sleep or play video games. Think of how much more you would have purchased if you spent that same amount of time in your family, your education (whatever that may be) or even in prayer and Bible Study.


What are YOU buying with the hours of your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment